So, I have gotten a few emails, a few questions about how we actually did the cabinets. Did we leave the oak trim at the bottom, etc. I meant to write this post last week, but a little late than never, right?
For the original reveal please click HERE
The first thing that we did was take the trim off the bottom of the cupboards. As you can see in this picture, there was some missing already, but once the trim was gone, the doors weren’t long enough.
So, to fix this we added a piece of wood to the bottom.
It wasn’t our first choice, but we ended up using plywood, only because it was the only thing we could find at the hardware store that was the exact width as our doors. It’s not perfect, but it was a solution and is only visible from the inside anyways.
We used 1/4″ x 1 5/8″ finger jointed pine. It was in the trim section at Home Hardware and was really the only choice they had, and we looked around at a few other stores, too. (Lowes, Home Depot and Kimballs, which is a locally owned hardware store.)
Then my husband cut the trim to the length of the doors and used finishing nails to hold it in place. The next step was for me to apply the wallpaper.
With the brand I used, I found that it expanded once it was wet, so after the first door, I cut it just under a 1/4″ smaller than I needed. Once the wallpaper was dry, my husband added trim at the tops and bottoms of the doors. So, the wallpaper is held down at the top and the bottom by the trim. Now, that I’m writing this and thinking about it though, I suppose we could have made it a little easier on ourselves by applying the wallpaper first and then all of the trim on top of it. Hindsight….
We used wallpaper from Lowe’s. Unfortunately, I don’t have the label anymore, so I don’t remember what brand it was. We used one full roll, plus a teensy bit from a second roll just for the last door. (Which was kind of annoying, because it was sooo close to only needing the one roll! Oh well, I have some left for another project in the future, right?!)
A couple things we learned along the way: Adding trim to your doors makes your doors thicker and therefore they need slightly more room to open! The row above the sink was a bit tricky when we went to hang them back up. My husband had to do a bit of adjusting on the hinges to make them all work. He said that he just had to tweak the hinges and keep adjusting them until it worked.
Also another thing we did was switch some of the pairs around and hung them upside down so the plywood addition would be less noticeable inside.
Another thing that I forgot to mention was that my husband actually rebuilt the drawer fronts. He cut a piece of plywood to the right size and we added the trim and wallpaper. He figured it was just as easy to cut a piece of plywood the size of the drawer then to cut a piece to add to the top of the drawer where the oak trim was originally. On the edge of the drawers I added wooden veneer to cover the plywood edge. Because the drawers were smaller in scale, we also used a smaller trim (1″).
Also some one asked if my doors were textured. Well, they weren’t totally one hundred percent flat, there was a bit of a slight texture to them… enough that dirt could get stuck in them!
Hope that answers some of your questions. If there’s anything I haven’t covered here feel free to contact me and I’ll try and help you out!