It was all crinkled and chipped. So, after researching how to remove veneer, I decided to give it a go.
I sprayed water onto the top and then set my iron on it for a few minutes at a time. This loosens up the old glue and makes it easier to lift up.
I used a scraper-thingy to pry it up with.
This was definitely not an easy job, was very time consuming- and sticky! I think it took me about 3 hours for the top of the table. I am not looking forward to having to repeat this on any further pieces! Oh, and by the way…. don’t use your good iron….(I am now the proud owner of a brand new iron 😉
Here is the top with all the veneer taken off:
I decided to just give the bottom shelf a really good sanding and fill in the spots where it was chipped with wood filler, and it turned out okay.
Some of the veneer underneath was lifting as well, so I had to glue it back in place. The board helped give me even pressure.
This was one of those projects that always seemed to get pushed to the side, but finally, it is complete!
There is some gorgeous detailing, and the legs are sooo pretty!
I’d also like to say welcome to all my new followers. You guys are great, and all the comments I have gotten so far are so encouraging 🙂